Most hospitals and health systems have invested in Clinical Documentation Improvement Programs in the inpatient setting, now migrating to the outpatient arena. Most recently the professional associations representing the CDI profession have elected to change the name from Clinical Documentation Improvement to Clinical Documentation Integrity. With the name change to Clinical Documentation Integrity, current CDI processes must adapt to actually make headway in achieving real measurable meaningful sustainable integrity in physician documentation that supports both quality of care as well as hospital optimal net patient revenue with preservation. The word “Integrity” in CDI requires CDI to recognize the medical record as a Communication Tool versus a Reimbursement Tool.
This ability to treat and conduct the record as a communication tool requires a distinctly different CDI skill set, knowledge base, and core competencies rooted in understanding, defining and applying best practice standards and principles of physician documentation that effectively communicates patient care. These best practice standards and doctrines of documentation incorporate principles of the Evaluation and Management that serve as the basis for the physician’s reimbursement.
CDI professionals who wish to advance their knowledge and skill sets in defining documentation integrity, working with physicians as true colleagues and partners in achieving clinical documentation excellence, helping physicians work smarter not harder by becoming proficient in effective methodologies of charting in the record by applying principles of E & M documentation, will want to make it a point to register for this webinar. Objectives of the presentation include:
- Understand and appreciate E & M concepts and direct natural relationship to quality and completeness of clinical documentation
- Learn a practical approach to chart review that incorporates principles of E & M assignment and engages the physician in true documentation improvement initiatives
- Understand and practically apply the 3 key components of E & M assignment into promoting and achieving best practice standards of documentation, optimizing CDI initiatives for all the right reasons beyond case mix and reimbursement key performance indicators
- Integrate principles and concepts of E & M into documentation improvement efforts that capture and reflect clinical judgment, thought processes, medical decision making and proper establishment of medical necessity
February 3, 2021
12:00 PM – 1:30 PM CT
This webinar will be available on-demand. This means that webinar will be recorded and sent out to all paid registrants the week following the live webinar, even if they register after the live webinar has occurred, or if they cannot make the time and date set for the live webinar.
Glenn Krauss, BBA, RHIA, CCS, CCS-P, CPUR, CCDS, C-CDI, C-DAM
Jacob Martin, MD, C-CDI, CDI-PA
- MSHIMA Member: $49
- Non-Member: $69
# of CEs: 1.5 – Data Structure, Content and Information Governance
– You will need to access each of the session pages under Course Content before the CE will be available for you to download.
– All sessions will appear on the CE. Only report the sessions for which you have listened.
This educational offering has been approved for continuing education credit for use in fulfilling the continued education requirements of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
CEUs are accepted from programs sponsored by AHIMA national offices and the state or regional AHIMA branches. One hour of instruction is worth one CEU. A certificate of attendance or completion is necessary to show participation.
You will need to “Register for this Course“.
The live webinar access instructions will be included in confirmation email that you will receive after you register.
For technical assistance with the webinar, please contact [email protected].
This webinar will be available on-demand. This means that webinar will be recorded and sent out to all paid registrants, even if they register after the live webinar has occurred, or if they cannot make the time and date set for the live webinar.
In order to access this course, you will need to select the blue button in the right column labeled “Register for this Course“.
Already Purchased Course?
If you have already purchased this course, then you will need to sign in to access and then click on the session(s) listed under Course Content.
Access instructions for the course will be provided within 2 business days following receipt of payment.
You will have 60 days to access the course after access has been granted.
Once the course is completed, you will have the ability to download the CE certificate.