This presentation seeks to guide the learner through the impact of capturing hierarchical condition category (HCC) throughout the patient care continuum. We will explore the impact of HCC coding from the outpatient perspective through to the inpatient setting. The role of providers, coders, and clinical documentation specialists in this risk focused methodology will be explored at length. The speakers will discuss how the coding systems work by highlighting the interaction of weights and overriding categories while defining source documents and appropriate identification of documenting providers.
January 28, 2021
1.0 – Data Structure, Content and Information Governance
Allison Van Doren, RN, BSN, CCDS, CDIP, CRC
Allison is the Vice President of Clinical and Quality Services for Intellis. She has successfully managed interdisciplinary committees focused on improving the quality and delivery of clinical documentation and patient care. Allison has also provided oversight and review for many compliance audits focusing on clinical documentation and risk adjustment. Allison’s clinical nursing experience also includes years as an active member of the Infection Control Committee of a large academic medical center.
Allison’s Accomplishments Include:
- Presented for several national organizations regarding CDI’s role in Patient Safety Indicators, mortality risk adjustment.
- Assisted in the creation and development of these programs at a large urban academic health system.
- Before joining Intellis, Allison managed a CDI Department at an academic medical center in Philadelphia, PA.
- Active member of ACDIS and AHIMA. Allison has presented nationally for both organizations.
- Provided oversight and reviews of many compliance audits focusing on both clinical documentation and risk adjustment.
Kim Felix, RHIA, CCS
Kim is the Vice President of Education & Training for Intellis. Kim has more than 25 years of HIM coding experience including coding, auditing, and management at various University and Community Hospitals. She was a project manager for Big Four RADV audit and ICD-10 conversion for analytics software.
Kim’s education experience includes adjunct faculty appointments at Gwynedd-Mercy College, Pierce College, Thomas Jefferson University as well as acting as a study mentor at Western Governors University.
Kim’s Accomplishments Include:
- Designed comprehensive ICD-10 training program and trained 100+ coders
- Created lesson plans for Coder Instructor Resource Guide for Elsevier Publishing
- Developed questions for CCA Exam Review for Northstar Learning (Archipelago)
- Assisted AHIMA with CCS question writing and developed CCS Preparatory Workshop
- Published articles in HFMA’s Revenue Cycle Strategist and For the Record.
- Kim is a distinguished member and presenter for various national and local association conferences. She is a recognized leader in the HIM education field. Kim and her team of seasoned professionals are ready to provide you with the highest level of knowledge based training and exceptional customer service.