Join this webinar and learn new strategies to combat plaintiff attorney misuse of patient-directed requests, including top-down awareness and education for compliance, risk management, finance and legal terms. Stand firm and be ready to engage with the OCR when attorney threats arrive.
This session uncovers the latest threat to HIM—attorney misuse of patient-directed medical record requests under HITECH. Discover:
- Where we are and how we got there;
- HIPAA, HITECH and OCR’s 2016 guidance—unravelling the confusion;
- How plaintiff attorneys are misusing patient-directed requests;
- What attorneys are being told and why;
- Negative impacts to know—privacy, costs, OCR concerns;
- Trends in HIM—volumes, patterns and how HIM teams are coping today; and
- The national scene—what is being done to clear up the mess.
The presenters will define essential components of a fail-safe game plan to combat attorney maneuvering of patient-directed requests, including how to build an effective rebuttal process, engage patients in the conversation and successfully meet with the OCR. Additionally, recent national efforts, attorney tactics and HIM trends surrounding patient-directed requests, including quantified negative impacts on patient privacy and operational costs, will all be shared.
December 10, 2019
1.0 – Privacy and Security
Rita Bowen, MA, RHIA, CHPS, CHPC, SSGB
Vice President of Privacy, Compliance, and HIM Policy, MRO
Danielle Wesley, Esq.
Vice President and General Counsel, MRO