This session will address what are Social Determinants of Health (SDOH) and their relationship to patient health outcomes and costs. The need to collect SDOH information to better assess patient risks and outcomes will also be discussed. The current state of ICD-10-CM coding and documentation for SDOH will be addressed as well as other efforts underway to improve standardized definitions, documentation and coding of SDOH. Steps to improve the capture of SDOH documentation and codes will be provided.
At the completion of this session, participants will be able to:
- Understand what social determinants of health (SDOH) are and their impact on patient outcomes.
- Apply ICD-10-CM official guidelines for coding social determinant of health information (SDOH).
- Describe current efforts underway to capture SDOH using classification systems and clinical terminologies.
- Implement strategies to improve the documentation and coding of SDOH.
# of CEs: 1.0 – Evolving Topics/Other HIIM Relevant Topics
This educational offering has been approved for continuing education credit for use in fulfilling the continued education requirements of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
CEUs are accepted from programs sponsored by AHIMA national offices and the state or regional AHIMA branches. One hour of instruction is worth one CEU. A certificate of attendance or completion is necessary to show participation.
In order to access this course, you will need to click on the button labeled “Register for this Course“.
Already Purchased Course?
If you have already purchased this course, then you will need to sign in to access and then click on the session(s) listed under Course Content.
Access instructions for the course will be emailed to you within 2 business days following receipt of payment.
You will have 60 days to access the course after access has been granted.
How Do I Receive the CE?
You must click on the button labeled “Mark Complete” at the bottom of each course page before the CE will appear on the My Certificates page
- Access instructions for the course will be emailed to you within 2 business days following receipt of payment.
- You will have 60 days to access the course. If your course has expired, and you need an extension, please contact us.
- You must click on the button labeled “Mark Complete” at the bottom of each course page before the CE will appear on the My Certificates page.
View more FAQs.
Need assistance? Contact us.